Tuesday 16 April 2019

Chapter 152 : waiting for the bus


We walk towards the bus stop.

We don’t know when a bus will arrive. We will wait. Waiting is okay. Watching a bus depart as we approach the bus stop is not okay.

There is a timetable displayed. I ignore it. As we wait other people arrive and wait. We take it in turns to glance up the road.  Then we all see a large, bulky, steadily bus moving relentlessly towards us.   
No hurry to board the bus. We know it will wait for everyone. After boarding we have to choose a seat. After boarding I have a quick squizz around the passengers. They having a sneaky squizz at us people boarding.  If there were no empty seats I would have to sit next to someone. Who could it be?
With my grandkids they always want the same seat. The very back seat. It is high and wider. They can sit and survey everybody on their bus.

The bus driver drives nonchalantly. Seemingly unaware that he just missed that car. Going around that corner she seemed a bit close. She is oblivious to all his near misses.  

Sitting on the back seat we have a good view of the other passengers.

A guy with headphones singing loudly.  Singing as if home in the shower.

A lady with two kids. A fussy mother hen. Fluffing and clucking to her kids. Sit down here. Don’t stand. Don’t throw that packet.
  
An older lady. Protecting her enormous bag as if it contains crown jewels. Her clothes are either from or are going to an op shop.

A lady with a pram. She maneuvers the pram and holds it to prevent it rolling. She smiles as she leans and tickles her baby. She loves her child.

A gaggle of young school kids with heavy school bags.  Talking incessantly.  Peripatetic arms. 
A man in a suit with a brief case. Two stories bubble up and emanate from him.  His car is being repaired due to an accident. He has lost his license due to drink driving. I won’t ask him which story is true.

A young female wearing a t-shirt telling me a band she likes. My shirt doesn’t talk to her. My shirt tells her that I am boring.  I could go and tell her my favourite band. 
A man closes his eyes and lies his head back. His wife peers at him and smiles to herself. She thinks about how much she loves him.  

In front of me a lady continues her phone conversation.  She is inviting me to listen to her conversation. I imagine the person she is talking to. Going by everything she says it is female friend. They are talking about what happened last weekend and what it means when he says, “I like you a lot.”

An older man walks past me, bends over and says, “The zip on your bag is open. Stuff can fall out.”
I nod and do up the zip.

My grandkids become aware that there is a button they can press. I wait for someone to press the “Next Stop” button and see the sign light up. I then say to Kay, “Show me how to press the button.”

Kay presses the button and says, “You’re the best grandfather I’ve ever had.”

At the next stop some people alight through the rear door. Some from the front door. They all say, “Thank you.” 

I say to Kay, “They are all thanking you for pressing the button.”

We look down on all the cars containing one person. All the cars united by the road and separate from each other. A lady is on her I-phone. She is communicating with somebody. Maybe in Sydney or Europe or USA. Maybe even someone in Hobart.  

I peer back down at the cars.  I hope to see a politician caught in the traffic. Hopefully one who sees traffic as a problem? Hopefully one who wants to spend my taxes to build a tunnel or a by-pass. Unfortunately I don’t see any politicians.

I see two cars both thinking a precious parking spot belongs to one of them. One of them will have to give up. One of them will drive on. One of them will think parking their car sums up their day.  
I peer back down at the cars. Hermetically sealed bubbles that stop, start and crawl.  

Sitting by themselves the drivers all look incredibly unhappy. They all behave as if invisible.  I look around the bus at all the people and see why the car drivers are all so unhappy. They are missing out. They are missing out on humanity.



No comments:

Post a Comment