My time in hospital taught me that health is physical, emotional and social. And luckily, I had good social health.
When I came home from hospital,
I met Robbie one of my neighbours who, at the time, I didn’t really know that
well. So, I say to you get out there meet and greet your neighbours. You may be
as lucky as me.
Jo I am asking you to talk
about life in our family.
Jo: Growing up with Dad, he was very focused on our studies.
He used to spend hours helping me, particularly with my maths... which,
unfortunately, I still failed.
In fact, he spent hours and hours and hours helping me get
through school. One of the big things he said to me about this speech was,
"Can you just make sure you write it down and actually prepare for
it?"
So, in true style... I didn't.
There are a few things worth mentioning about Dad. He was a
bit of a prankster growing up, and one of the memories that has always stayed
with me was a family Easter trip to the lake where we grew up. We were fishing
at a place called Lake Sambell, and it happened to be April Fools' Day around
Easter time.
For the first time ever, my sister and I managed to catch
what we thought must have been a fish. As we were winding in the line, we were
convinced it was a really big one. We were getting more and more excited as it
got closer.
What Dad had actually done was tie our collection of Easter
eggs into a plastic bag, add a few rocks, and put it on the end of the line. So
for Easter that year, we got soggy chocolate.
We still ate it, of course... but it was wet chocolate.
Dad has taught us well. He made sure we studied when we
needed to study. Sometimes the lessons felt hard at the time, but they've paid
off. We're all dedicated people, and we've learnt those traits from Dad.
And just so you all know, you could practically set your
clock by him. He left home religiously every morning at exactly the same time,
and if you drove down Letitia Street, you would see him in exactly the same
spot, at exactly the same time, every single day. Rain, hail or shine.
That's probably one of the reasons he's always been such an
incredibly fit and healthy man.
Dad has always led by example. He's taught us the value of
hard work, consistency and commitment, and we're all better for it.
And finally, Dad told me I had to keep this short.
Alan: In 2018 Parkrun came to
town. I went to the first parkrun at the Queens Domain. Then I went back the
next week and kept on going back.
Running has always been a part
of my life. I started to run at Uni. At Flemington race course. No dogs there.
Stacey I am asking you to talk
about running and the finish line.
Stacey: You wanted me to talk about parkrun, so obviously I
had to start with the stats. There are quite a few. Here are the main ones:
That is 373 Parkruns in total—331 of them at Queens
Domain—and 17 volunteering.
I first went in 2015, then 2 years later took you to your
first parkrun (which was my second). You were 60 at the time.
After that, when someone would drive you, you kept going
back. You have travelled the state,
country and world with Parkruns, doing a total of 29 different ones. Your running achievements also include 2 Comrades Ultramarathons in 1985 and 1986, the
Gold Coast and Cadbury Marathons, Point to Pinnacle and many fun runs.
After getting out of hospital, in 2015, you showed us all how
determined you were to recover. You
often told me how we need to look after ourselves first to be healthy and happy
in our body, mind, work and our relationships with others. You also lived the “healthy body healthy
mind” attitude through your commitment to your running, sport, and healthy
eating.
Even going back to childhood, you always had that consistency
and determination. You walked to and from work every day, spent ages kicking
the ball with me in the backyard, patiently listening to my piano practice,
even though I would make the same mistakes over and over again. But the
mistakes didn’t worry you. You would
take me to eisteddfods, admitting later you were possibly more nervous than me,
I hardly ever won, but you continued to offer your support, encouraging the
effort more than the outcome.
Back to parkrun, you have inspired 2 more generations. My son, Bryce, now willingly volunteers and
runs when he can. You’ve passed down
your values and are still out there showing us all how it’s done. Here’s to
many more years of living life to the fullest.
And my talk finishes with me saying I don’t know where the
finish line is.
Alan: There is no finish line.
To be continued…
No comments:
Post a Comment