Tuesday 28 August 2018

Chapter 102 : parkrun Singapore


My life involves a trip to Europe and being a parkrun fanatic.
Can I combine the two?                                              

I go to parkrun global. I look up places I will be on Saturday and possible parkrun options. Nuremberg is a near miss. They do parkrun but the dry weather is leading to a low river and a change to my trip means I will miss out on this parkrun.  Singapore emerges as an option but I will be transferring via Singapore on a Friday.

We add a day to our transfer in Singapore and we will now be in Singapore on Saturday and they have three parkruns to choose from.

Further goggling tells me the East Coast parkrun is the closest. About 5 kms from my hotel. It starts at 7:30 a.m.

To get there we will need a taxi. Should be easy to get a taxi from the hotel.

In Singapore the weather on Friday tells me tomorrow is going to be warm. Before going to bed I lay out my running clothes, my bar code and a water bottle.

Saturday is parkrun day. We head downstairs looking for a taxi. The driver knows exactly where to go and drops us off at the spot Mr Goggle tells us. It is before 7 and immediately a couple of runners are obvious. They are waiting in a shelter. We approach them. They are parkrunners but it is their first time at this parkrun. We all think we are in the right spot.

The park is busy with people. More runners appear and eventually one says the magic words, “I have done this parkrun before and it starts here.”

As he is saying this a man hammers a parkrun banner into the ground and starts placing witches hats in lines. His confirmation relaxes and pleases us. 

More people start appearing out of nothing. Either singularly or in groups. They wear tops advertising local services, local runs or local clubs. They begin stretching, jogging or greeting other runners.
The race director gives a talk to the gathered crowd. I keenly listen to his comments on the proposed course.  All us visitors (a lot) get to put up our hands and say where we are from. Most are from the UK or Australia.

We walk to the start and the race director unleashes us. I start to run and start to think about important things. My time.  It will not be in range of a PB. Due to jetlag and the heat.

We run along a very wide path by the bay. On our right are many anchored ships. Too many to count. The park is well maintained, neat and tidy with big trees and lawns.  Singapore is full of many spectacular well maintained and cared for plants. The plants in the built up areas are fantastic.

This park is not absolute best one for garden displays.  It is more a recreational park full of active people.  As we run down the path we encounter other runners, cyclists, walkers, a couple of monks and a walking tai chi phalanx. I wipe the sweat from my eyes as I approach the turn around point.
The course is straight up and back. Back down the same path. There are even more people in the park.

I can sense the finish. And then I see it, charge throw it, receive a token and get scanned. All very obviously laid out and done.

Job now done. I talk to a few people. One person says, “Lucky it wasn’t humid today.”
Now I can’t complain about the heat.

Back at our hotel the results mysteriously appear on our I-phone. I’m amazed at new technology when used appropriately. And then I get another drink of water.

Parkrun enhances my travel experiences. As well as queuing to see the local tourist attractions I get to do something with the locals.

Everybody running was wearing different clothes, was a different shape, had a unique running style and had a different back story.  The course was different. The country was different.
I now realise that on a Saturday there are people in Singapore doing exactly what I am doing in Hobart. We are united by 5 kms and have a lot in common. The people in Singapore are just like the people in Hobart. All different.



No comments:

Post a Comment