Friday 11 October 2019

Chapter 201: What we talk about when we talk about being political correct


A few days ago I overheard one of my grandkids say: “She said I could come to her party.”

Today we take her to the birthday party. She jumps from the car; screams; runs past some balloons and aims for the front door. The birthday girl emerges. She sees Kay and her present. She smiles and rips the paper.

Her mother takes charge of a growing pile of used birthday paper.

Another lady decides everybody is now here. It is time for some games. She raises her arms and yells: “We are now going to play some games. Everybody sit down in a circle.” 

She organizes pass the parcel, pin the tail on the bilby, musical chairs and free time on the trampoline.
The adults play a game called find someone to talk with. The men play the game standing holding a beer while watching sizzling sausages. The women play the game in the kitchen. Discussing what plate to use, where the plate should go and how people should serve the food. 

I hear a man say: “Well I can’t tell you another joke like that. That is not politically correct.”
Another man says: “But it was funny. You’ve got to admit.”

Looking around I see the kids are all being very politically correct.

One of the kids has an obvious physical disability. The other kids think about what games he can play. They decide he can have slightly modified rules.

All the kids are aware that some of the kids have parents who come from faraway lands.  That they eat different foods.  All the kids accept all these differences.

I watch as everybody (boys and girls) playing with everybody.  

They are all being politically very correct.

A sausage finds itself in the flames. A cook picks it up, wipes it and puts it back.

A passing woman says: “Well that is just typical of men. That is what you expect of men.”

I then decide I will help the women arrange the food on the table.

A woman says to me: “I’ll do that. You go and have a drink.”

She points me back towards the scrum of men cooking the sausages. 

The table finishes up laden with fairy bread, sandwiches, little boys, a fruit platter, party pies and sausage rolls as well as sausages. My heart is cheered when I see a lot of the kids devour the fruit such as strawberries and water melon and banana. 

My cheer evaporates when I see the drinks available. The soft drinks depress me.  Soft drink is empty calories. Obesity leads to more health problems than tobacco. It is possible for these kids to enjoy yourself and have a good time and drink something healthy.

A party is exactly when you should set an example. Set trends. Change behaviour. Change the way people see various foods. They will remember.  Show people that you can enjoy yourself in the short term and be healthy in the long term at the same time.

My thoughts make me feel morose, glum and lonely. I can’t have any kids see that I’m unhappy.
I tell myself: “It’s a party. Enjoy yourself.” 

My wandering brain reconnects with reality. Mum enters grinning broadly. Holding the special cake. The status of her family depends on this cake. Shaped like a unicorn and impossible to cut.  

Candles appear and are lit.  Cameras are poised waiting for the birthday girl to blow the candles out. The song “Happy Birthday” arises. I don’t know which way the song will finish. I do know that all the kids think it is a happy birthday and all have behaved politically correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment