Thursday 25 March 2021

Chapter 310: I didn’t know I had a scaphoid bone until it broke.

 


I head towards the right side of the court. My opponent hits the ball to where I just came from. I suddenly have to change direction and go back to where I came from.  If I can stretch my arm make it longer I might be able to hit the ball while my legs catch up. My arms move towards where the ball is going. My feet are still going in the opposite direction. My legs go one way, my arms go the other way and I go down.

I fall and land on the court. My knees are covered in clay sand. I wipe my knees. I reassure the others and say: I’m okay. let’s continue.

Four/five hours later I am not okay. Whenever I use my hand it aches. Whenever I forget about it and use it. When I cut bread. When I take the top off the peanut butter jar. When I wash my hands. My hand has become alive. Whenever I move my hand it talks to me. My hand has become a separate being. 

Normally after a shower I dry myself. I pick up a towel. I can’t hold the towel. I need help to dry myself. This is bad.

Next day my hand wakes before me.  It is trying to tell me something. I take my hand to a doctor then a radiologist. They interpret and tell what my hand is telling me. My hand is broken. My hand needs to be strapped. My thumb needs to be keep still. It must not move relative to my hand. When my thumb does what it is told and doesn’t move it is quiet and I forget it.

I need help to get my watch off. My hand has changed me. It has changed my life. It has decided I will be a different person. My hand is telling me I am a different person. My bandaid tells everybody I am a different person.

The next day I visit a physiotherapist and get a cast covering and immobilizing my hand. The cast is solid. Unmissable. I ask the physiotherapist all the important questions about the cast.

The physiotherapist gives me all the important information. He says: Drawing on the cast will not harm it.

No comments:

Post a Comment