Wednesday 4 August 2021

Social tennis on The Domain: Part Two

 


I play tennis with other people. Everybody I play with is unique. Everybody is different.  I play with anybody. I don’t judge people or discriminate. I look at their tennis style. I notice if their backhand is weaker than their forehand. I notice if they prefer the ball short or deep. I notice if they have a good volley or smash. After looking at my opponent I alter my game. I try and beat them by playing to their weakness.

My aim is to spot a weakness and then attack it. Do they hit the ball in certain ways or to certain spots? I change my game in order to beat their game. One lady often goes short. Hits a very good drop shot. I have to come in. One man hits a very good lob. I need to stand deeper at the net. Get ready for his lob. One lady often goes down the side. I need to stand a bit wider. I can hear Geoff muttering.

Geoff: You are labeling and judging people.

Me: I play with anybody. I judge them so I can beat them. I don’t get upset If I lose. My goal is to play well. To hit good shots. To play in the moment. To be relaxed, flexible and move well. My ultimate goal is for everybody on the court to play well.

Me: You could say I am treating my opponents badly by judging them and by trying to beat them but they are also trying to beat me. I need them and they need me. We are both aiming to beat each other.

Geoff: So that’s your goal. Beating people.

Me: I respect my opponents by trying to beat them. When I play tennis I play to win. It’s no fun playing against someone not trying to win. But win or lose is not the big goal.  A game which I win 6/0 is often a bad unenjoyable game. Losing 7/6 is a much better way to go. The ultimate goal is for everybody to win.

 

The Copenhagen City Heart Study is a much quoted and read study. 8577 participants were followed for all-cause mortality from 1991 to 2017. Their participation in various sports and other leisure time activities and length of life was monitored.

Various sports were associated with improvements in life expectancy compared with a sedentary group. The researchers found that tennis players added 9.7 years to life expectancy.  Badminton players added 6.2 years. Soccer players added 4.7 years. Cyclists added 3.7 years. Swimmers added 3.4 years. Joggers added 3.2 years. Health club members added 1.5 years.

This study showed that all physical exercise was associated with increased life expectancy. Social physical activities such as tennis, badminton or soccer were associated with greater increased life expectancy more than individual/solitary activities such as jogging, swimming or cycling.

Increased life expectancy is associated with both physical and social health.  Connecting with other people, playing and interacting with them is as important as physical exercise.

The Copenhagen Study found that people who played tennis lived on average an extra 9.7 years.  While receiving serve I think: Tennis is for team players. Me and my partner will both hit winners; hit the ball into the net; serve both well and badly. Both of us respect each other. This is the ways teams work.  

Tennis is for someone reasonably healthy emotionally. During tennis the ball will bounce or fly towards you. You then have to attack it with confidence. You have to take a risk. You have to do something which may or may not succeed. You have to gracefully accept either result.

The players I play against are emotionally and mentally healthy. They are nice people. I love them so much I love to beat them. It’s not tennis that makes them live longer. They are the type of person who lives a long and healthy life therefore they play tennis.

The message from Copenhagen is don’t play tennis. The message is social health is as important as physical health. Social health is about respecting your partner and opponent. The other message is people who live a long and well-balanced life play tennis. If doing a solitary physical activity then try and do it with other people or afterwards go social. You need a balanced life.

No comments:

Post a Comment