Thursday 16 June 2016

Chapter 35 : A Neuropsychology test

A Neuropsychology test.  That is what I am due for. What does it mean?
According to the leaflets I have been given, Neuropsychology is linking the structure and function of the brain to the way it behaves.  The neuropsychology test will consist of lots of tests. Each of the different tests are looking at different parts or functions of the brain.

In my case they are using the tests or the test results to assess the brain. Has the brain healed and recovered? They do not have a measurement of where the brain was before my hospital trip. When they assess my brain via tests then they will compare to the average. According to the sheet I was given your scores are judged against normal scores for your age and educational background.

Neuropsychology tests can:
Identify weaknesses in specific areas.
Help differentiate amongst various illnesses.
Help plan treatment. Target areas to work on.

In my case I hope they take my results, compare them to what they think is normal and then say that my brain is functioning very well. I am not looking for a diagnosis or help with my rehabilitation. I want to move on. I just want the tick of approval. The pass mark.  The result that says that I am normal. That I have recovered from my brain injury.

This assessment I am about to have, relates to three things which were taken off me.
I was deregistered as a practicing dentist.
Power of attorney was taken away from me.  This means control of my bank accounts/investments was taken off me.
My driving license was suspended.

The theory is actions were taken because I failed a neuropsychology test. I no longer remember being given this test.  I have been told I was given the test when I was obviously suffering from a traumatic brain injury. When I was partially conscious. I had no hope of passing. And now I am being retested.

Start with the waiting room. Door that opens automatically. How does it do that? I look for a camera or something recording movement of people. Inside are rows of empty chairs.  A water cooler with disposable cups is next to a magazine rack. The magazines are Tasmanian ones that belong in holiday accommodation for tourists. Also house, home and cooking magazines. A TV is on the wall. Captions, talking heads and the news. Behind a glass wall are some staff, computers and phones.

Nobody to watch.  Nobody to talk to. My name is called by someone looking directly at me. We follow. The psychologist has the prime seat behind a desk. Two chairs this side of the desk. We chat about why we are here and what we are doing or going to do.

She is very professional, neat and tidy. The right amount of professional friendliness. Answers all the questions. Talks when she has to. Silent when has to.  Cannot be criticized in any way (she might read this).

The tests vary. Most involve shapes, colors, words, numbers, pictures or diagrams. Some involve drawing or writing on sheets. Some involve listening and verbal answers. Some involve picking the correct answer on a sheet.  We proceed with test after test after test. When my head is spinning from thinking, a new test is unveiled which she reads and explains. My mind wanders to thoughts about who invented such a test; what is the aim of this test? And how do you do it?  And she presses on with the next test and once again I spend my time trying to work out how to do it.

How did I feel?  At times, especially initially, I felt good.  I felt like I was sitting on an airplane filling in time. And then I remembered I was going to be given a mark. These tests were all going to be assessed. I was not doing this for fun. After a lot of them I felt like discussing them with the person next to me. Who didn’t exist.

As the tests went on I became more deflated than elated. The memory tests really galled. I knew when I couldn’t remember the answer. It was obvious. Other tests were not so deflating.  A piece of paper with a puzzle was put in front of you. You were given instructions on what to do. Then you did it. You didn’t know if you had done it correctly. You weren’t told that. She just took the test and filed it in her folder.  And immediately the next test appeared. Basically I can’t describe the tests because there were so many and they were all different and I can’t say how I went because I don’t know.

She had work to do. She had a job to do. I had a job to do.  We were both working. I did feel like discussing some of the tests with someone else who had also done them. Discussing the way to solve it. Discussing the traps and pitfalls. Seeing how they had coped or worked it out. Very occasionally I detected some faint glimmer of feedback. I had done well or badly. Either way it didn’t matter because we were on to the next test. Left the old one behind.

Some of the tests were vaguely recognizable. I listen to a story and then it’s my turn. Can I retell the story? Testing memory. Got that. Other tests I had no idea what they were trying to prove or not prove. If I did this successfully what did it mean?

When we finished she tells me that she will tell me the results at our next appointment. In about a week.  I feel a bit deflated. Or maybe just tired. Tiredness is probably understandable after two hours of tests. It had to be done. I know my brain has recovered. Has it been proved? Will I be given a piece of paper saying that my brain is functioning well? On my way home I watch people walking the streets. They are all going about their lives. Doing what they want. And most of them haven’t been tested. Most of them haven’t got the proof.



No comments:

Post a Comment