Saturday 17 November 2018

Chapter 111 : the Comrades Marathon : 1986 article : THE TRAINING


THE TRAINING

There are many different training methods. What is important is that you choose a method that works for you. Bearing that in mind there are certain basic principles that are fairly universal. I will now describe the methods I prefer for myself even though they might not be right for you.

                Rest…immediately preceding the race rest. Do not run or do any vigorous exercise. Prepare yourself mentally. I think about three days is right but this can easily vary.

                Taper…In the weeks preceding the race I would gradually decrease my mileage. I prefer a taper of about three weeks. As you decrease your mileage you should become full of life and full of bounce. If this is so you can increase the amount of speed work or slightly increase the speed at which you train but be careful. If you push yourself too hard you will tear a muscle or catch a cold. After every training run you should feel fit and bouncy. If you are tired and jaded then rest immediately and do not run again until fully recovered.

                Quality Training…preceding the taper you need a period of high quality training. I think 8/10 weeks is about ideal. The emphasis is on high weekly mileages. At the start of this period I would write down my planned weekly mileages. For most weeks it would be about 120 kays a week. The most important thing during this period is to achieve these guidelines. I keep a log book and record what I have run. This is essential. I start my week on Saturday so I begin the week with a long run. if I run am and pm on Saturday and Sunday then I would accomplish 50/60 kays over the weekend. if I’m feeling good then I can continue to push it hard on Monday so that I will be rewarded with Thursday and Friday or just Friday as a rest day. If I’m feeling tired or heavy footed then I can rest on Monday, take it easy on Tuesday and run hard on Wednesday and Thursday. I prefer a fixed weekly programme and a flexible daily program. I find programs which set out on the 23/4 you run 5 kays am and 8 kays pm a complete mystery. I suspect nobody sticks to them but if it suits you then that’s okay.

These training runs should be run at an easy comfortable pace though on some days you will strain to finish. You are trying to increase your endurance so total mileage is what counts. Don’t be embarrassed about the speed at which you run. It doesn’t matter. Don’t race the people you train with. Don’t try and impress and don’t try and improve your time every day. Don’t be afraid to stop and rest or walk.

Once a week I would do a long training run. The aim of this run is to mentally prepare yourself for running long distances and to increase endurance and stamina. This is definitely not a time for racing. Stopping regularly drinking often and plodding along is what is important. You cannot train for speed and endurance on the same day.

If I want to do some speed training then this will be done during the week. If during a particular week I find I can easily achieve my set mileage then I can think about a fast time trial or other type of speed work. However if during the week I’m battling to achieve my mileage then speed work is quickly forgotten. Mileage comes first and speed comes second. I would also never do more than two hard days a week (one long run and one time trial).

During this period of intensive training you will find you need to sleep more than normal and to eat more than normal. Don’t fight it. If you are hungry then eat. It’s impossible to put on weight when doing such training. This period of quality training demands sacrifices. There is time spent running and time spent sleeping that must come from somewhere. If you don’t have this time to spare then forget about the Comrades.

                Basic training…preceding the high quality period is a  less intensive more varied period during which you attempt to achieve a basic level of fitness and get used to the daily routine of running. Your mileage should gradually increase during this period so that by the end of base training a jump to 120 kays is not large or traumatic.

This is more a time for enjoying your running. For entering races and running time trials. It is also a time for visiting the gym to strengthen your leg, back and stomach muscles. At the start of this period you should do other sports (swimming, squash, cycling etc). The way you go about training during this period and the length of time it talks can vary so much it’s impossible to know where to start. For some people this bas training is a part of their daily routine for the whole year.

No comments:

Post a Comment