Sunday 8 March 2020

Chapter 241 : let's go for a drive


We tell our grandkids we are going for a drive. One immediately opens the car door and sits by the window. I then explain one of the rules. If you want the window seat you must let others enter before you.


Two other grandkids need to have other rules explained to them. They have both decided it’s their turn to sit in the front.

I then say, “Okay I’ll decide who sits in the front and you will change around on the way back.”

One shows lack of understanding of the basic rules and says, “Then it will be your turn to go in the back.”

I check their seat belts. They enjoy being in the car but feel that being in a car they have to copy us adults. To behave like an adult in Hobart you have to complain about the traffic. They immediately start abusing other drivers.     

My thought bubble sees traffic problems as not unique to Hobart. A glance around the world tells me there are other cities with worse traffic problems. There are cities where more people spend more time in cars.  Cities with worse air pollution. Cities with more accidents and where driving is more dangerous.

In a world where there may be worse traffic than in Hobart the traffic in Hobart is getting worse.  The number of cars on the roads is increasing faster than the population is increasing.

Kay’s mind is focused elsewhere. She says, “Who did that?” and winds the window down. 

My thoughts are still on the traffic.

If we continue as at present the number of cars will continue to increase greater than the population.  The future will mean more people, more cars, more traffic and more people spending more time in cars.

I want a future where my grandkids enjoy travelling around Hobart. I want a future where they enjoy travelling to work or play. I don’t want them to spend hours every day cursing other drivers.

My thought bubble contains an idea. Increase the density of the CBD and inner suburbs. More people living in the inner areas. More people living above shops in the CBD, more multistory buildings, more people per house, more flats and more units sharing a single block.

My thought bubble contains less people living in the fast growing, scenic, outer areas.  Less people travelling from these outer areas by car. More people car sharing. More use of public transport (bus, light rail or ferry).

I want my grandkids to grow up in a society with less cars. A society where status and wealth are not associated with cars. A society where cars are not fashionable or desired. A society where high status is associated with small electric cars and low status with massive, spotlessly clean four-wheel drives.
My grandkids will inevitably grow up in a future with more electric cars. The electric cars will pay no petrol tax.  Tolls will be needed to pay for roads. In the future I imagine a toll to enter the CBD. A toll using g.p.s. and on-line payment.

I dream of my grandkids growing up in a society with a different political system. At present we have three levels of government and multiple councils having an input into Hobart traffic.  

Bruce has different dreams. He says, “Change the radio station.”

We have inherited a three-tier system where every election means politicians promising new bridges or new highways. Nobody ever promises less cars. All politicians seem to think that cars vote.  
Our present system has Hobart governed by multiple councils. Councils make rules for area. Their rules affect neighboring areas.  A state government flounders around looking for someone to dance with.

I imagine my grandkids growing up in a society with two tiers of government. Both tiers seeing transport as a vital part of the economy and environment and health of community. One tier responsible for all transport and paying for all transport infrastructure.

Back in the real world my grandkids know what they want. The radio station changed.  I smile. I dream of the future. They live in the present. Their only concern is turning the station to their favorite channel.  They can argue about what the best station is. I will dream.

1 comment:

  1. Alan C: We can leave our house for essentials or exercise.

    For us there is no time limit for exercise.

    I am like everybody else on this planet. Looking forward to life post-corona.

    ReplyDelete