Monday 20 November 2023

The Point to Pinnacle: Before




 

I ask every runner who passes me. Are you doing the P2P?

Every runner knows of the P2P. The answers are either yes, coming up soon or no you must be kidding. It’s too tough.

My experience is it is a tough race. Doable but difficult. It is one race where your time is irrelevant. The race is so unique you cannot compare your time to any other 21 km race. Finishing is the only aim.

I train as per normal. I train on The Domain. That is hilly. I keep doing that. It’s hilly, close and pleasant. And pretty similar to the actual route.

When training I always look at The Mountain. The mountain sleeps indolently. It lies waiting and watching. It lies beneath her light covering of clouds challenging me to run up her. I can hear the somnolent mountain say: Good view from the top.

I pick up my number at a local running shop.

I notice gels.  Do I need food during the race? Do I need glucose? The packaging is professional and impressive. They must be good because they are well packaged. They might help and couldn’t harm. I buy a couple.


 

The weather on the day of the race is critical. The weather at the pinnacle is different from the weather at the point. Different worlds.

My app says Hobart Tomorrow: 8-12 am. Cloudy. Medium chance of showers. 10-20%.

Light winds. Maximum temp 21 degrees.

Mt Wellington Tomorrow: Cloudy. Medium chance of showers. 15-25%.

Light winds. Max temp 11 degrees.

After reading my weather app I devise a plan for tomorrow.

Wear normal running shorts and shirts. Don’t wear sunglasses or hearing aids. Carry a splash jacket and a cap for showers.

Place warm jacket in gear bag which I will put on when reaching the summit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment