Monday 19 February 2024

As we stretch and jog and wait for the whistle: Part 1


 As we stretch and jog and wait for the whistle Blundstone Arena dominates and overpowers us. These grandstands have seen much emotion, passion and highly skilled sport. Last year they watched 1,300 people run the 10 kms. Also 1,700 people ran or walked the 5 kms which begins on the bridge. Last year, in Run The Bridge,  there were over 3,000 unique back stories.

My story is I make up the numbers. Today I plan to plod slowly without talent or skill, with a sore leg. My right leg began as a sore foot which spread to my hip and now joined by my knee. I manage the pain by running. My experience is my leg feels after I run. My other story, for me, it is hot. My weapon to combat the heat is water.

It is a beautiful day. Sunny, clear skies with, at the start line, no wind. Most people I speak to say it is their first time. I begin to feel like an experienced runner. Everybody I speak to says what a beautiful day it is. I think it is too beautiful. I dream of an overcast sky and a cool breeze.

19th Century:  Many football and cricket matches were played locally. One recorded match is a football match between Carlton and Bellerive in 1884.

1914: Bellerive Recreation Ground was opened.

1987/88: This ground became the home of Tasmanian cricket.

2003: Upgrade to ground completed.  Including a new grandstand. The David Boon Stand.  

2009: Light towers were installed.

2010: Inaugural Run The Bridge fun run.

2011: Officially renamed the Blundstone Arena following a naming rights deal.

2012: The first AFL matches were played with North Melbourne Kangaroos the home team.

2013: Completion of more redevelopment which saw the construction of the Ricky Ponting Stand 

2015: 17,544 people watched North Melbourne play Richmond in the AFL.

2016: 18,149 people watched Hobart Hurricanes vs Perth Scorchers, in the BBL.

This side of the river was settled in the 1820s. It was initially called Kangaroo Point.

2024: Cricket Tasmania say the ground is no longer suitable for them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment