Monday 19 February 2024

The area was now called Bellerive. Part 2

 


1830’s: The area was now called Bellerive. Which is French for beautiful shore or beautiful river bank.

I watch the first wave of runners take off. I wander around waiting to join the second wave of runners. An official tells me there is no second wave, only one wave. Start running.

I run down a semi deserted road. The peloton of runners has disappeared ahead of me. Ah well. Better run. I enjoy plodding down the road. On my left is the river. On my right is native bush which hides the Kangaroo Bluff Battery.

1873: Local cruising Russian warships prompted the need for a third battery to support Battery Point and the Queens Battery.

1884: Kangaroo Bluff Battery or Fort was completed. It was surrounded by a moat and prickly hawthorn hedges as protection from enemies on foot. Shots from the battery were fired in 1884.

The run follows the esplanade around the river until we enter the Bellerive shopping centre. This area has many historical homes and buildings which were sleeping until us runners arrived and woke them up.

The first water station. I take two cups of water and tip one cup over my head and shirt. My running experience is water is good. It prevents me lying on the ground trying to ascertain what are those people looking at.

Run up Rosny Hill. Local knowledge tells me on top of Rosny Hill is a lookout with sweeping views of our river, the mountain, The Tasman Bridge and the Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens. We plod up Rosny Hill bypassing the top of Rosny Hill.

We continue pass the Clarence Aquatic Centre and Sports Centre.

1963: The Clarence War Memorial Pool opened. Surrounded by pleasant gardens.

1982: It was decided to cover the pool to allow it to operate all year. Covered with a flexible bubble.  The bubble was very effective and a popular landmark. At the time it was the premier aquatic centre in the state.

2002/3: Bubble was replaced with a permanent building.

We now run onto a Tasman Bridge without cars. It is a delightful experience with an amazing view. Memories of driving the bridge or walking the narrow paths on either side vanish and are replaced by the view. At the summit of the bridge, I feel like exploding into a backward somersault, but I’m a stranger to such behaviour and now is not the time to…

I remember the race and plod on down the bridge. I am aware of an annoying wind. The arrival of this wind makes running more difficult and gives my head something to think about.  

No comments:

Post a Comment