Thursday 26 October 2017

chapter 68: TMA : the long jump(1)

I stand at the top of a synthetic, artificial track peering down at a pit of sand surrounded by a small group of people.  One with a plastic tape measure. I look at my marker lying beside me on the track. I am in the right place and time.  I now have to do what I said I was going to do. I have to run towards the sand-pit and jump as far as possible. 

Why am trying to jump long?

When I was in hospital the staff they always said, “Avoid this” or “don’t do this” or “have you taken your medication.” They never said, “Your treatment involves jumping as far as possible.”  When I was in hospital they always treated me as a sick person, someone who was going to need continual protection and care.    They always assumed they were going to look after me forever.  I always thought I was going to get better.  I didn’t lie in hospital thinking about the long jump. When lying in the hospital bed I thought I don’t want to be here. I want to be out there attacking the future and trying new things.

I started training for the long jump several weeks ago. First thing was work out my run-up. How long would it be? I have to guess.  I Count one stride as equal to a step with left foot and then one with right foot.

 I stand on the track looking at the pit. I count the strides of my new run-up. It is 24 strides and feels way too long. All I have to do is accelerate to my max speed. Not tire myself out. I try a much shorter distance and measure it. My run-up is now 10 strides.

Now I have a run-up. Ten strides from the take-off line. I re-measure and run towards the pit.  I want my right foot to land just behind the take-off line. Am I in the right spot?  It feels like I am overstepping the take-off line. I need to increase my run-up.

I try 11 strides. Now I run towards the pit. It feels right. I run past the pit. I can’t jump into the pit. 11 strides feels good. I now have a run-up.

I try again. And again. I keep on moving my start position by a couple of mms.

What is the technique for the long jump? Do I just run and jump?  Are there other things to practice? Is there any technique I need to learn?

I do a few of my running drills. Skips, butt kicks, backwards running and a bit of hopping. Are they helping? I feel the hopping is helpful. I can go home now. That’s my first training for long jump done.

The next day I count out 11 strides from the take-off line. It seems to short. I feel everybody will be longer. Do I stay short or copy other people?

The next day I enter the DAC stadium. People are preparing for a carnival. There is a tent at the finish line. And microphones and clipboards and groups of officials hold their whistles. I circle the track and head for the jumping pits.  I will test my run-up. I count my steps and run at the pits. I run past the pits. I think I over stepped.

I repeat. I think I overstepped again. I move my marker back and try again.  I think I am still overstepping. A group of school kids enter and shuffles into the grandstand.  They have face paint and colored ribbons in their hair and are not looking at me. I go home.  Another practice done.
The big night has arrived. I wander to the pits and everybody else has entered another event. I have 30 minutes by myself to prepare for the long jump.  I mark out 11 strides and mark my starting point. I run at the pit. I think I am over stepping. I must move my marker. I move it back. I know have a run-up of 12 strides.  I watch my right foot. I think that was good. I keep on practicing my run-up. I think I am in the right place.  

And then they arrive and after a couple of jumps it’s my turn. I run at the pits. They are watching me. Their eyes are on me. They are watching me run. They are watching my feet. My feet which are not working properly. They are watching me run through the take-off line. They are watching me not jump. They are watched me freeze. That counts as a fouled jump. I want another go. I can do better than that. I know I can do better than that.  Please let me have another go. Please let me go again. They don’t.  They say wait your turn.  Fair enough.

I practice jumping on the other run-ups. I keep on practicing the run-up and the jump. I am sure I can do this. Let me have another go.

My second jump. I am back at the run-up. Besides my marker. I run towards the pit. I must do a legal jump. It must be legal. It must be a proper jump. I run very carefully towards the take-off board.   I must put my foot behind the line. I must jump and land in the sand. The others clap and say well done. I love them. They are good people.

My third jump. Back at the run-up. I run towards the pit. It is a legal jump. It feels good but I fall back and the lady measuring says, “I’m sorry I have to take it from here.”

I nod. I am happy. Fortunately I have done three very, very bad jumps. Tonight I have begun my climb up the mountain. I have just told the world my long jump is hopeless. I have just told myself there is only one way to go. That’s longer.


The number one thing I need is more practice jumping. I need to practice in a pit. I need a rake. I need to find some way of bringing a rake up here and using it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment