Thursday 26 October 2017

Chapter 69: TMA : the long jump(2)

I return home. What does Mr Goggle say about long jump? He must say something useful. I just have to find it.   Mr G says many things and eventually I find a place where he talks about the four main components of the long jump: the run-up, the last two strides, takeoff, and landing.

Run-up

Mr G says the aim of the run-up is to reach maximum speed at takeoff.
The other factor Mr G talks about is the angle of your jump. Elite jumpers leave the ground at 20 degrees or less. If the angle is too big they will travel more up than along. If the angle is too small they will fall back to earth prematurely.

I have to smoothly and gradually accelerate until I reach top speed. I have to travel as far longitudinally as possible before I fall back to earth. Getting the run-up and angle of takeoff right sounds like more practice.  Sounds like trial and error to me.  Back to the track.

The last two strides

Mr G says the aim of the last two strides is to prepare for take-off while conserving as much speed as possible.  He says that during these strides you need to lower your centre of gravity to prepare for vertical movement of my body.

I need to think of the last two strides as separate and distinct from my run-up. While doing these strides I need to conserve as much speed as possible. I need to position my feet behind the line and lower myself into a type of crouch.

Back to the track for more practice. 

Takeoff
Mr G says must place your foot on the ground flat prior to take-off.  Don’t take off on from your heels or toes. Mr G talks about various take-off styles which confuse me.  The only thing I can take is fully extend the arm backwards (on take-off leg side).  Don’t leave it in a bent position.

Landing

Mr G says if no action occurs in the air prior to landing the body will finish in a face down position in the sand. 

One technique is to make the body as long as possible in the air.  Extent arms and legs a maximum distance from the hips. Then at the apex of the jump flex the knees. Land on bent knees to soften the impact of landing.  When landing the aim is not to fall backward.  This depends on moving arms forward and bent knees.

The main thing to practice is initially one arm back with legs straight and then bend legs and throw arms forward. And don’t fall back. Again.

I visit the nursery. And buy a rake. A plastic rake. When buying it I don’t tell the guy at reception what I want the rake for.  I’ll keep that to myself.  

And the future.  I can see an improvement in my long jump. I can see myself getting better. I can’t see by how much.  


In the future I can see myself not comparing my jumps to the jumps of others. It’s not about beating other people. It’s all about doing my best. Improving.  If I get better I know I will have had a small victory.  I will have learnt something about myself. And that’s what matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment