Thursday 10 December 2020

Chapter 293: To become the best runner in the world I galloped over sand-hills, splashed through the surf or frolicked in the beautiful Botanical Gardens.


My time surfing has resulted in some quotes attributed to Herb Elliot. I have copied and pasted some of these quotes. They are interesting.

 

Post Cambridge Herb Elliott lived and worked in Perth. He was and still is very successful in business.

 

Elliott: There was no reason for me to continue running. There was no money in it, I had a family, I wasn’t a wealthy fellow so I needed to go out and get a job.

 

He attributes his ability to adjust to working in business to the self-belief installed in him by Cerutty.

 

Elliott: When I first met Cerutty at school, he said ‘what you’re doing is totally trivial, you’re going round and round in circles and coming back to where you started. Why would you put aside a large portion of your life for the next four years for such a trivial achievement?’

And I said ‘I’m not sure’. And he said ‘I’ll tell you why. Because you’ve got an aptitude (for running), and if you can use that aptitude to the fullest, you’ll grow into a better man’.

 

Elliott: I’d been brought up a Catholic at Aquinas College in Perth and you’re constantly confronted by this idea of being a better person. So that appealed to me. So my motivation was very pure. I wanted to be a better human being. That was my number one thing.

A point being, at training you’d be exhausted and you still had a few miles to run but you knew that was a moment of weakness challenging you. So, if you were going to grow, your motivation had to be more than just winning or getting money.

 

Elliott (recently): I know some of the great AFL coaches who have had success and they concentrate on the guys being better men and, therefore, ultimately better footballers rather than just being better footballers.

 

They develop players first as men, allowing what they learn to help them with their particular sport. They’re the ones who get the best results, not the ones who hammer the idea of just trying to win.

 

Elliot: It was just one of those peculiar tricks of fate that I met Percy and certainly his contribution to my development as a champion athlete was an invaluable and integral part of it. It wouldn’t have happened without him.

Elliot: From the first time I met Percy, he excited me as a person. I’m not sure whether it was a blending of personalities or minds, but the way he spoke appealed to me. I could feel it stir ambitions in me that must have been already there somewhere.

Elliot: I always respected, listened to, learned from and loved Percy.

Elliot: It was demanding, incredibly so. But also inspirational, natural and beautiful.

Elliot: He was never terribly interested in what I was doing in my training. He was more interested in my state of mind.

 

The Australian press built a rivalry between Merv Lincoln and Herb Elliot, portraying it as a feud between coaches Cerutty and Stampfl. Elliott’s training contrasted with Lincoln’s track-based and closely timed sessions.

 

Elliott: I had a genuine sympathy for Merv. While he was plodding his way through monotonous training sessions, I was galloping over sand-hills…and splashing through the surf, or frolicking in the beautiful Botanical Gardens.

 

Cerutty clearly filled a need in Elliott's life.

 

Mrs Elliott: We put Herb in Percy's hands with confidence. That confidence has been well and truly repaid a million times over. He gave Herb an awful lot more than just making him stronger. He puts great stress on character. His standards for a man are very high. Oh, we have had some terrific arguments with him, but he's done the world for Herb.

No comments:

Post a Comment