Monday 28 December 2020

Chapter 296: I then do something I haven’t practiced.

 


Most days I stand on the starting line I look at other runners and immediately know where I will come and who will come first. Today is different. Bikes and Spikes 800m Masters handicap event.

 

Us Australians have a  tradition of handicap events. We love giving everybody an equal opportunity of winning. We are all mates in this together. And we trust our Government or the handicapper to look after the weak and needy. This Australian characteristic has helped us confront Corona. Trusting authority/handicapper and thinking of the slow runners/ needy.

 

Our most famous horse race, The Melbourne Cup, is a handicap race. Weights are carried in order to even up the field. Handicapping us runners with weights is theoretically possible but we are handicapped by distance. We don’t have less weight to carry or start before the others. Us slower runners have less distance to run. We all start at the same time. The backmarkers then attempt to mow us down  and pass the runners in front of them. If the handicapper has done a perfect job all the runners will finish together for a dramatic photo finish.

 

Our most famous yacht race, The Sydney Hobart yacht race, uses a different handicap system. Each boat is placed in a division. Each division contains boats of potentially similar speed. There are two winners.  The Line Honours Winner receives more publicity than the Overall Winner.

 

The 800m Master’s handicap race is a race with only one winner who is both the line honour winner and the overall winner. A race where I run less than 800m. Behind me are talented runners who will be inspired to run faster by attempting  to run past me.

 

I assume the crowd will support and barrack for the back marker as they try and mow down us front markers. It is dramatic to watch runners over tacking and passing other runners. More dramatic than seeing a front marker run away and lead for the whole race. 

 

I have to adjust mentally. Normally when I run the runner in front of me inspires me. I watch the rhythm of their legs and imagine a string connecting us. I aim to keep that string tight. Not let it go loose.

 

Today I need a different mindset. Today I will be a hunted hound running for my life. Avoiding these pesky hounds napping and barking at my heels.

 

To save energy and go for a big finish is not the way to go. Today I will have to start fast and try to hang on. I will be Herb Elliott. Destroying my competition with my self-confidence. My confidence will take away and diminish their confidence. There is only a finite amount of confidence on the oval and I am going to take it all.  

 

The coming rain overshadows and dominates the athletic carnival. The wind has arrived. The wind will slow down my competitors. They have another thing to worry about.

 

Volunteers help me find my starting spot. I peer towards the starter. He starts everybody at the same time. I start by myself. I am running  by myself against everybody else. Without looking much I can see runners on the other side of the oval. I must sprint to the end of the first lap. 

 

I know have to sprint down to the other end. Legs go faster. Legs go higher. Legs go longer. Go faster. Arms swing bigger. Bigger and bigger. Lungs breathe deeper. Bigger breathes. Bigger and deeper. The hare will speed away from these nasty hounds. The hounds are slow and old and hobbling. The hounds are losing touch.

 

I never look around. That will give them confidence. I am arrogant. I listen to the announcer. He knows my name. The sound is very clear. He tells me the back marker has passed a few people and is running fast. Faster than me. That looks like the finish line. I cross it.

 

I then do something I haven’t practiced. I accept a sash and the winner’s prize. When I arrived, I was amazed at how many volunteers spent so much time helping runners and cyclists. Now I am amazed at how so many of these volunteers congratulate me on winning. New Town Oval is full of people who  deserve a prize.

I am too happy to feel exhausted. Fancy winning. I breathe deeply. I rest my hands on my legs.  I shake hands with the other guys. I love them all. They have all inspired me to run fast. They have all done that by trying to run faster than me.



No comments:

Post a Comment