Thursday 17 December 2020

Chapter 294: Good coaching polishes...


 

Cerutty told Elliott to be contemptuous of pain and thrust against it. There was no pat training formula, no timetable routine. Cerutty aimed to fashion out of the raw Elliott a resilient, superbly conditioned free spirit who would discipline himself instinctively and soar above the common herd of racers by virtue of superior strength and will power. Races would be won by instinct, not strategy.

It needed a man of Cerutty's fiery, evangelical nature to tap Elliott's enormous resources and bring them to the surface.

 

Elliot: You get bloody sick of training but that's the time when you stick to it. That's when one runner proves himself better than the others. Anyone can do it when he's enthusiastic. It's when you stick to it that you show you're the superior man. But once you start running it's O.K. You get a sensation of strain in your muscles and sweat on your brow. It's a manly pleasure. The pain is something real, especially now when you're not quite fit. Three or four times a week it hurts so much that you're dying to stop. Your muscles are screaming but you keep going. It's a matter of will power.

 

Elliot: I don't try to hate them. It just happens that way. But the person you should really hate is yourself. It's you that you've got to hurt. It's you who's got to take the punishment.

 

Elliot: Why run at all? I guess it's a way of expressing myself by going through pain. I aim to keep myself fit and to prove I'm the better man. Doesn't everyone want to show he's better than the next bloke at something?

 

Elliot: The main thing about Perce is that he coaches your spirit. This is the key to championship running. The body itself may need only two months' training to get fit; the rest of the time you're building up your spirit—call it guts, or some inner force—so that it will go to work for you in a race without your even thinking about it.

 

Elliot: He is more impetuous and excitable than I am. Percy talks all the time. He nearly drives us crazy, saying the same things over and over until you get damned sick of it. But when he's not here we miss the old beggar. I could train and run on my own but I like to have him around to talk things over.

 

Elliot: Percy claims a lot more than he should get credit for. He makes it sound as if you'd be a drunkard and no good as a runner if it weren't for him. It sometimes gets your back up and you feel like putting him in his place. But, all in all, he's a wonderful bloke.

 

Elliot: I like to vary my training venues day by day, running on a golf course one day, the next day in a park, then on a racecourse, up and down the hills flanking the Shrine in Melbourne, along the Yarra River and even over cow paddocks. The change of scenery, the music of the birds and the sight of grazing cattle and sheep is soul-freeing and makes a training session real joy.  

 

What do Elliott and Cerutty tell me.

 

A good relationship with a good coach will help me run faster. It is unlikely that will happen because a good coach would quickly realise there are some things you can’t polish.

For me running is all about getting to know yourself and finding out what you are capable of.

Physical ability is related to emotional, mental and social health.

Run free. Unscripted. Vary training. Vary speed. Vary where I run. Cross country. Fartlek. Intervals on the track.

Base training. Weights. To add power to upper body.

Running up hills to build up strength. 

When races  start to appear. Sprints. Speed work.

The harder I train the easier I will race.

Eat healthy.

Rest hard and relax hard. Train my mind.

Racing is a test of training.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment