Friday 8 January 2021

Chapter 297: When I stand on a pickleball court...


I skip sideways and  swing my arm and with timing and balance I hit the ball. A beautiful whack sound and the ball  flies over the net and bounces  on the court.  That felt good. That felt so good I didn’t even think about it. It felt instinctive, natural and relaxed.

It is now the turn of the lady on the other side of the net. She moves smoothly and gracefully. She skips towards the ball swings her arms and hits the ball back towards me. I skip towards the ball swing my arm and hit the ball back over the net. The ball bounces back and forth between us. Connecting and joining us as we dance around the pickleball court.

When I stand on a pickleball court I need other people on the court. Today there are three others on the court. Without them I wouldn’t be able to dance around the court. Without them I wouldn’t be able to stretch, turn and twist. Without them there would be no game. I appreciate them  turning up, picking up a paddle and moving on the court with me.

I love smashing away a volley. A winning shot where all my opponents can do is watch the ball fly past undeterred and unhindered.  

I get the feeling my opponents also love smashing volleys away for winning shots. In this pickleball dance we both have a chance to hit winning  shots. We both smash volleys away.

A volley smashed away results in both of us watching where the ball lands. Then one of us says good shot, mutters silently, trudges after the ball, picks  it up and hits the ball to the server.  The other person ,which is sometimes me, smiles proudly and thinks good shot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment