Friday 22 January 2021

Chapter 299: I write down some of the unwritten rules of pickleball


Once again wandering towards the Pickleball courts my mind is distracted. I cross a road. I avoid all the cars.  My mind thinks about cars.

 

Driving a car is a social activity. How other people drive affects me. If in a car what my car does affects other people. Everybody knows the basic road laws.

 

Pickleball is a social sport. I can’t play pickleball by myself. What other people do affects me. How I behave affects other people.

 

Pickleball is a new game. And the basic rules (written and unwritten) of pickleball are not well known.  My mind is thinking about the unwritten rules of pickleball.

 

The unwritten rules may vary from place to place, person to person and from day to day.

 

 

I will write down some of my unwritten rules of pickleball.

 

1              Everybody calls the ball on their side of the court. All my calls will not be perfect. My aim is for perfect behaviour. Which is accepting all calls without questioning. Not perfect calls.

 

Standing and arguing where the ball has actually landed is not good pickleball. A greater good is served by accepting all calls. Accepting all calls without comment outranks where the ball lands.

 

If ball or serve is out/fault  I call out/fault immediately. I don’t hit the ball back; wait for rally to end and then say the ball was out/fault.

 

2              If I doubt where the ball lands then it is in and play continues.

 

3              Any ball on court means play the point again. Always. Irrespective of the rally.

 

4              The server keeps and says the score before serving.

 

5              I don’t smash the ball directly at my opponent.

 

6              Be polite and nice. Treat other people the way you want to be treated.

 

7              If my opponent hits a good shot then I say good shot. If my opponent hits a bad shot then I say nothing.

 

8              If I hit a good shot then I say nothing. If I hit bad shot then I don’t say what I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment