Friday 15 January 2021

Chapter 298: Today at pickleball...


 

As I make my way to pickleball I imagine the future.

 

In a short time somebody will hold the short straw. That means they will be my pickleball partner.

Most of my partners want to beat the opposition. They want me to be aggressive and smash the ball away. To play to win.

Most of my partners get frustrated with me.

My aim is not to win. My aim is to have long rallies. My aim is for everybody on the court to enjoy their game of pickleball. I do this by hitting the ball straight back to my opponent. I concentrate on having nice footwork and moving nicely.

Today I expect my partner to volley the ball away aggressively.

I expect my partner to say: Play to win. We have to beat them. You are not even trying.

I will nod and think: I want to have good rallies. I will lob the ball back nice and softly so they can hit it back and then I can hit it back and then we can have a nice long rally.

I expect my partner will then say to me: Play to win. You are not even trying.

I will then say: I am trying.

My partner will then say:  All you are doing is hit the ball straight back to them.

We will then break and a lady drawing up the roster will approach me.

She will say: We have a problem. The people you just played against want to play against your partner. He has inspired them. They think they can beat him. They see his weak point. They want to beat him. They don’t want to beat you.

By now I have arrived at the pickleball courts. That’s it. Fancy them saying they don’t want to play against me. I suddenly am motivated to play aggressively. Put me against anyone you like. I will win. I will volley aggressively. Nothing will stop me. I will do anything I can to win every point I can.  They don’t want to play me. Well I will show them. Today is the day I win every point.

No comments:

Post a Comment