Thursday, 1 October 2026

70th birthday party: Speech (part 1)


Now I thank everybody for coming here.  I really appreciate it. I spoke to one of my sisters today and she said keep it short. So here goes.

I’m going back to 1956. 70 years ago. In Melbourne, 1956 was a big year. Three big things happened.  In August TV came. In October we had the Olympic games.

On the 24.9.56 in a hospital in East Melbourne near the Fitzroy Gardens and Captain Cooks Cottage mum decided to do what mum’s do. Then when mum was feeding me melon juice, I heard a rumbling noise.

I said to Mum: What is that noise?

She said they are building a stadium over there.

And I said: What is that for?

She said the Olympic Games.

I said can I go?

Anyway, my dad went to the Olympic Games and he raved about Kutz who won the 5 and 10 kays. He was a Russian runner who went to the front and pulled the field apart. My research tells me he came from the Ukraine.

Dad said, we went to the athletics and we sent the ladies to the closing ceremony and the basketball. And mum took me with her and I enjoyed the Olympic games so much I went to sleep and filled my nappy.

As for the Basketball. Lyndsey Kline the famous basketball coach played in the AFL game. It was a demonstration sport.

The MCG was my dad’s and my happy place. We loved going there. I have so many happy memories of the MCG. My biggest memories are the 1970 grand final and the bowling of Lillee and Thompson. They were fast.  

I then went to Melb Uni which changed my life.

And then after that South Africa which definitely changed my life.

I worked in Soweto for a year. In Soweto I saw a lot of people more intelligent, harder working, more caring than me who lived in a one room shack with ten other people. I was incredibly lucky.

Anyway, I worked in Soweto for a year, pulling out a lot of teeth, and I thought I am going to have to do some proper dentistry and I got a job In Natal.

My first nurse said to me: You should meet my sister. She is really good looking.  I saw things differently from Debbie.

What I was subconsciously looking for was someone who knew how to look after my kids. I saw someone who was good with the young kids and I saw someone who was kind to her maid. That impressed me.

Years later, one day, I looked down into the crib. I thought I want you have a happy, healthy successful life. I looked at my daughter and I said to her. I know a place where you can have a better life and you won’t have to worry about some of the troubles here. I am lucky. I can go there. You can go there.

So, we came to Australia. I felt like an immigrant. I remember going to the supermarket walking the aisles. Stunned at the food here. I couldn’t believe it. Wow amazing.   

I eventually started my practice here in Collins Street Hobart.

One of my siters told me my grandmother was born in Collins Street. I did some research and found out Florence Solomon was born above her father’s shop. He was a tailor. After a few years he moved to Cygnet. He had a tailor’s shop. My grandmother did all her schooling in Cygnet. The tailor’s shop is now a cafe.

My other grandmother, Dolly, moved to Queenstown when she was about three. Her father chopped down trees. One day she sat on his axe. Which was a mistake. They had sharp axes. She had a great big scare on her bottom.

In the year 2000 my dad’s favourite sport watching moment occurred at the Sydney Paralympics. He was sitting in the stand watching Melissa swim the 100m freestyle. The whole crowd was roaring Carlton, Carlton, Carlton and he couldn’t believe it. My mother rang me up and said your dad was happy.

I played at the New Town Tennis courts with David Brown and they were good times. But unfortunately, in 2015, one Wednesday night, I played tennis, went home and went to bed. I woke up two weeks later in the Royal Hobart Hospital. I thought bloody hell I’ve got to get back to work. I bet the patients are building up and here I am lying watching the TV. Doing nothing.

Jo came in, one day, and I said to her I’ve got to go back to work and she said you are retired. And I can’t remember what I said.

 

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment