Sunday 26 July 2020

Chapter 260: My super power lets me down.

Me: I am so lucky.

One grandkid immediately says the right thing: Why is that?

Me: I’m going to the sushi train for dinner tonight. I’m going to eat some fantastic food.

Gertrude: So am I. I am also going to the sushi train.

Me: You are lucky. Like me.

Gertrude: But you are luckier than me.

Me: Why is that?

Gertrude: You get to talk to me.

Me: You are right. I get to talk to you and you are stuck listening to a retired old fart. You are luckier.

 

In the restaurant I talk to Gertrude:

Me: Do you like being Gertrude?

Gertrude: No.

Me: Why not?

Gertrude: You pushed me away from the fire.

Me: Yes. I am proud of that. I would do that again.

Gertrude: You pushed me.

Me: I don’t want you to get burnt.

 

This topic needs to vanish. I must raise another topic.

Me: Tell me what you did today.

Gertrude: Nothing.

Me: What did you do before doing nothing?

Gertrude: Nothing.

Me: And after. What did you do after doing nothing?

Gertrude: Nothing.

Me: You are right. Nothing all day. You are an expert at doing nothing. You must have been practicing.

 

I have a super power. The ability to read grandkids minds. Bruce dreams of eating another piece of sushi.

Me: Go for it. Have some sushi.

Bruce says: I can’t.

Me: You can. If you feel like it then eat it.

Bruce: I am saving space for an ice cream.

Me: I always manage to have room for dessert. Even when I eat too much.

Bruce: I am not eating too much. I am saving space for an ice cream.  

 

My super power has let me down. It didn’t tell me the full story.

It has resulted in me behaving worse than my grandkids.


No comments:

Post a Comment