Saturday 12 September 2020

Chapter 274: Time for morning tea

Time for morning tea as we make our way down the footpath. I sidestep a sandwich board. It proudly says: Homemade cakes.

 

It is telling me: Come in for your morning tea of coffee and cake. And please don’t ask me what the phrase “homemade cakes” means.

 

We enter the cafĂ©. I sneakily watch grandmother. Which table is she heading for? I don’t think she will take the one near the door. Or the one in front of the counter. I think she is going for the one the corner. I reckon she will ask the staff, “Is it okay if we sit anywhere?”

 

Our lives involve less choices if there is only one empty table in the room.

 

She takes possession of a table by standing behind a chair. I could sit opposite her or next to her. Should I face everybody else or face the wall. I can’t sit in this chair which is cramped.  Not enough room.

 

I eventually sit down and survey the room. I am standing atop a mountain admiring the view. I have to make sure I can locate everything. I can view a bain-marie.

 

I stand up to get closer to the bain-marie. In the bain-marie are cakes and slices and slices of frittata arranged on plates. Each plate has a label. One plate has the words, ‘gluten free’.  On the counter are a few muffins on a tray.

 

Maybe there is something on the menu which is not on display.    There is a pile of written menus which I take.

 

The menu tells us when breakfast finishes and lunch begins. The menu tells me the chef knows foreign words and fads such as gluten free, organic and vegan. The menu doesn’t tell me what is low in sugar and fat. What is high in fiber and healthy.

 

I look for food that is fresh, tasty, healthy and environmentally sound.  If it is also socially acceptable, easy to cook and cheap then everybody is happy.    

 

If I see blackboard and a chalk menu I assume the food is as fresh as the menu.

 

Before choosing some food I have to think daily. What else am I eating today? What exercise will I do today? How much food can I eat without feeling guilty? How high is my guilt limit today?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment