Tuesday 6 October 2020

Chapter 280: Kay is rich

Kay presents me with two things.

A bloody, red lip and blood seeping and oozing from her mouth.

A tooth in her outstretched hand.

I ask her: How is your mouth? Is it sore?

She looks at me bemused. How could I possible think of such things when she is holding a precious tooth.

Okay. That’s where my mind should focus.

Me: Okay I’ll wipe this tooth and then we will wrap it in a tissue for the tooth fairy.

I am really curious about what she thinks of the tooth fairy.

I ask her countless questions about the tooth fairy.

Why does he come at night when you are asleep?

What does he do with all the teeth?

Where does he live?

What does he look like?

How much is a tooth worth?

Kay is exasperated and frustrated with my countless questions. She finally raises her eyebrows and says: Mum is the tooth fairy. We do this. To make mum happy. Tonight I place the tooth under my pillow. Mum takes the tooth and gives me five dollars. I will then have ten dollars. I will be rich.

I am left speechless. Nothing to add. I can’t think of anything to say. Luckily she can.

Kay: And when all these teeth come out I’ll be more rich. I will buy Stephanie and her friends.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment