Monday 2 November 2020

Chapter 286: I can do it by myself


My grandkids are magnetically attracted and pulled towards a playground. They run towards the child safe gate then stand and peer anxiously at me as I saunter towards them. I open the gate and they rush in and immediately, without carefully and logically considering all the options, run towards some vacant equipment.

 

The playground is their playground. I can’t tell them anything. I can’t say go on this swing; be careful; play on the slide; you can’t suddenly and randomly go from one thing to another.

 

I follow them to a large rope climbing structure. 

Grandfather: I’ll help you.

Bruce: I don’t need your help. I can do it by myself.

 

Our thinking coalesces. We both think. Take a risk. Enjoy yourself. Don’t think about health and safety guidelines. Consider other people but just go for it. 

 

They gravitate to a row of swings.  Why do kids love swinging? Perhaps if I swing, I can find out why.

Kay: You can’t do that because your brain is damaged.

Grandfather: How’s your brain?

Kay: Amazing.

Kay: You can push me.

 

Bruce appears to be playing with another guy. I can never tell if this is the first time they have met or not.

 

Bruce: He’s my best friend.

Grandfather: How many best friends do you have?

Bruce thinks and then says: Three.

 

Kay looks at the slide and says to me: When I go down, I’ll say, hip, hip hoorah.”

She slides down and grandfather says: You forgot to say anything.

Kay says: Your right. 

She runs back to the slide. She must correct her mistake. She must slide properly.

 

As we walk back to our house Bruce says: Can I wash my hands on you?

Grandfather: No.

Bruce: Well my hands are dirty. How can I clean them?

 

Kay: I picked up a stitch.

Grandfather: Where abouts?

Kay points back at the playground.

No comments:

Post a Comment