Friday 6 November 2020

Chapter 287: The 800m


 


1968: I watch a grainy TV. A moment that still inspires me occurs.

 

The final of the Olympic Games 800m. Ralph Doubell enters the final straight. He sits behind the pace maker; runs past him and wins the race. That moment when he kicks and rounded the leading runner has remained with me.

Since then I have tried to recreate that moment. I imagine myself passing runners in the straight and pulling away to victory.

 

1975: Between lectures at Melbourne Uni I run around the athletic track at Melbourne Uni. One day I stare at another guy running around the track. It is Ralph Doubell. I am awe struck.

 

2020: I run on the spot. Lift my legs high. Must get my muscles warm and loose and ready to run. I wait for the starter to say: Everybody on your marks. He then fires the gun and releases us. 

 

The pack of runners disappearing ahead of me includes many who couldn’t possible remember 1968. For them:

 

Ralph Doubell was born in Melbourne in 1945. Post school he attended Melbourne Uni and gained a science degree.

 

His running career was short.  But his timing was impeccable.  He found himself at his peak at the Mexico City Olympic Games. He found himself in perfect position at the top of the straight ready to kick for victory. He became one of three Australian men to win Olympic track gold medals: Flack, Elliot and Doubell.

 

Doubell ran 1m 44.3 sec: Equal world record with Peter Snell. The Australian record from 1968 to 2018.

 

After winning his gold medal Doubell didn’t use his name to sell breakfast cereal or clothing or himself.

 

His international running career was short. He retired due to persistent injuries and went to Harvard Business School. Graduated in 1974 with an MBA.

After Harvard he worked in banking in Australia and served athletics in administrative roles: Telstra Stadium.  

 

Ralph Doubell is forever linked with his coach: Franz Stampfl.  They develop a very close relationship.

Ralph Doubell has spoken publicly about his famous race. 

 

Ralph Doubell: Franz always said it's 90 per cent mental and it's 10 per cent physical in winning an Olympic final and I think that's right.

Kiprugut was really tough to get past, it took 50 yards.

In the first 50 yards of the straight I was still yelling to myself 'push, push, go harder' and then I felt the break come, and you feel it.

There's this contact, it might only be a foot or two feet, but I knew I was past … and I didn't think I could lose it then and I was yelling to myself, 'I've won it, I've won it.'

I crossed the line, thinking, that's nice, I've won it, and you sort of stand around wondering what to do next.

I saw the time, it was 1.44.3 and I asked Tom Farrell (USA), who finished third, what the world record was and he said, 'that's it,' and I said, 'well, that's nice.'

 

2020: I cross the finish line and grab mouthfuls of air. My goal was to run my fastest. My goal is to learn more about myself. To find my physical limits. What I am capable of? Is that a new PB?

 

To reach my physical limits many factors are involved. Physical, mental, social and emotional factors.

 

Ralph Doubell’s story tells me he might agree.

 

In Mexico City he reached the pinnacle physically. He knew that physical peak was linked to other factors. He knew that mental attitude was an important part of running. He knew that emotional health involving a close friendship with Franz Stampfl was important. After the race he moved on and studied at Harvard which proves he knew that physical prowess was only one part of life.

 

He knew he needed that in order to run fast he needed Kiprugut to be a fast front runner. 

 

Running is not about beating the guy in the next lane. It is not about coming first. It is about using the guy in the next lane to run fast. I need the guy in the next lane to challenge me; to push me. I need to think of ways to beat him.  How can I improve my health and fitness in all areas?

 

I hope I did the same to all the guys in the race. I hope I caused them all to think about how to run faster. I hope they learnt more about themselves. I hope in trying to run faster and win they all improved their physical, mental, social and emotional health. 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment