Thursday 19 November 2020

Chapter 290: Just like me.

 


I line up for one lap of the DAC. 400m. 400m is a distance sprint. Run as fast as possible for as long as possible.

There is one person who has run 400m races on this track many times. Cathy Freeman. Perhaps she can help me.

 

In 2000 she became an international superhero. This super hero had a not so secret duel identity as a runner. 

What can I learn from Cathy Freeman the runner?

 

How did she train?

 

An example of her training prior to a big event.

Monday: 6 x 150 hill sprints.

Tuesday:  Reps (4 x 150m).  3 minutes recovery between reps.

3 sets with 6 minutes recovery between sets.

Wednesday: Speed session. Reps. 6 x 60m, 6 x 200m.

Thursday: Track session. 4 x 300m, 4 x 250m, 4 x 200m, 4 x 250m, 4 x 300m.  6 minutes recovery between reps.

Friday: 6 x 150m hill sprints.

Saturday: Rest

Sunday: 6 x 150m hill sprints.

She trained hard.  She always monitored the changes in her body. She monitored the speed she ran and the speed her pulse recovered. I need to do less junk miles and more quality interval training.

 

What can she tell me about racing?

 

When she raced she needed competition. In 2000 her main competitor was Marie-Jose Perec. She knew Marie-Jose Perec would get a faster time out of her.

CF: I knew that she was the only person who could unlock my own potential. She gave me permission to get really bold in my goals.

She was told Marie-Jose Perec wouldn’t race.

CF: My heart dropped. My heart drops still, now. I knew that I was up for it. She knew it and I knew it but we'll never know because it didn't happen.

Cathy Freeman needed competitors. Ideally I need someone who pushes me simultaneous to me pushing them. I know a couple of people (they remain nameless) who I aim to beat.

 

Do I run as fast as possible whenever I feel like it?

 

CF had a race plan: Sprint out of the blocks fast for 30m.

Run from very fast to fast relaxed to 200m mark. Run easily not run hard. Relax arms maintain leg speed.

Increase speed on the bend check position.

120m to go hard. Hold form. Drive hard with arms and legs.

My race plan should have some basis in science. A race plan should give me something to think about. Stop me getting distracted. Give me confidence.

 

CF: I looked straight across to the clock and I was disappointed with the time. I should have run under 49 (seconds) and I didn't. And I knew I had a lot more in me.

Sydney 2000 her time was 49:11. Gold medal.

Atlanta 1996 her time was 48.63. Silver medal.

For me my time is more important than position. I can’t control how well or badly others run. Ideally I can run fast enough to push them to new PBs.

 

Cathy Freeman knew that running excellence is linked to other factors.

CF: I had a regular strength and conditioning program that involved weight training. Yoga was not so much a formal part of the training program; however, comprehensive stretching and massage kept me fresh.

CF: I always tried to eat healthy and still do. When I was training I would eat a lot of steamed fish and vegetables at meals. I would snack on fruit.

 

In 2013 I came across the mild mannered runner inside the superhero. She plodded, trudged and sweated her way around the Cadbury marathon.  She ground her way, towards her chocolate bar, one step at a time. Testing herself. Challenging herself. Curious about what she could do. 66 women can now say they can beat her. But I feel that she had her own personal victory.

 

The Cadbury Marathon told me she was a runner. She was just like me. Post race she proved it when she said:  42 kilometres hurt. All I wanted to do was finish it, to be able to live to tell the tale. 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment