Monday 16 November 2020

Chapter 289: eight times


Cornelian Bay is one of the best places in the world. I have seen some famous places. Places that have been in songs or films and on T shirts.

 

Cornelian Bay is better than any of these other places. Except for one thing. And at the moment we don’t have it. No ignoring, breezy, gusty wind.  You only think of the wind when it blows. We have a complete absence of wind. It is calm. The trees hang languidly. The sky is cloudless. There is no wind.

 

Bruce and Kay hold hands and move around in a circle.

They sing: Ring a ring a rosie we all fall down.

 

Then they fall down and laugh.

Bruce is up. He grabs some rocks and throws them in to the water. He then scours the bank looking for stones to skim.

 

A good throw. I count the stone bouncing five times before sinking.

Bruce: Eight times.

Grandfather: That was a good throw.

 

He grabs another pebble.

Bruce: Look at me. Look at me. I can beat you.

Grandfather: I don’t know how to skim stones. Show me which stone I should use.

Bruce finds a pebble and proudly gives it to me.

Bruce: You throw like this.

Grandfather: Thank you.

 

 

After this burst of activity Bruce lies down on the beach. He stretches and makes himself comfortable.

Bruce: If I were me I would take off my clothes and lie in the sun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment