Wednesday 10 February 2021

Chapter 304: Triple jump

 


Triple jump = The hop, step and jump = The t-jump. 

 

It consists of one continuous movement which is composed of three distinct jumps.

 

The hop consists of taking off and landing on the same foot.

The step consists of landing on the other foot and then taking off for the jump.

The jump consists of landing anyway you like, but normally on two feet similar to the long jump.

 

A foul jump occurs when over stepping the take-off board; not using correct foot sequence. Scraping the ground with the trailing leg is not a foul.

 

Other rules are similar to the long jump. A legal jump consists of not over stepping the board when taking off.

The take-off board is placed across the runway. The jumper can decide which board to jump from.

 

What are the origins of such an obscure event?

 

In historical records of the ancient Olympics jumps of 15 meters are mentioned.  This led to the conclusion that in the ancient Olympics there was an event that consisted of several continuous jumps.

1896 the first modern Olympic Games in Athens. An event consisting of two hops on the same foot and then a jump.

1900 Olympics. The t-jump event had present day rules. 

1900 and 1904. The standing t-jump was a separate event.  

 

A triple jump was contested in the ancient Irish Games and was possibly an inspiration for the modern version of the t-jump.

The t-jump was retained in modern athletics because the runway and the landing area were similar to the long jump.

 

When attempting the t-jump there are two things I think about:

 

The t-jump should flow subconsciously  and automatically. Hop step and jump. I actually find this not difficult. After a hop a step flows automatically. The way to practice the t-jump is a standing t-jump. Keep on practicing a standing t-jump until it flows subconsciously. A practice standing t-jump can be done virtually anywhere.

 

Take off. As with the long jump the take-off  is critical. Take off depends on the runup. Run as fast as possible. Land take-off foot in right spot. Take off as big as possible.

 

I instinctively pause in my run-up to check position on take-off foot. I instinctively abhor an illegal jump. My run-up must be fast and aggressive. Not apologetic and submissive. No thinking as I run down the track. I need to practice a hard and fast run-up. I need to continually practice running down the track. Seeing where my feet land.

 

I measure out my run-up; mark it out with chalk; do a trial run-up. I then move my starting spot by centimetres and run again. I move it again and jump again. I repeat, repeat and then do it again. I try running without jumping to see where my take-off foot lands.

 

Another thing to practice is my technique.  According to an expert when doing the step I need to wave my leg forward. Increase my step.  I need to think about waving my left leg forward and not about landing it is soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment