Friday 12 February 2021

Chapter 305: Geoff likes to watch and give me advice.

 


The tennis ball heads towards my left. I move my arms and legs and hit  a backhand shot into the net. Geoff the Green Rosella says the bleeding obvious. He says you should move your feet before moving your arm. I nod in agreement. I always seem to know what to do after I should have done it. Geoff just raises his head and says nothing. He is distracted by something more interesting than me. A caterpillar. He eats it. Job done.

 

Geoff is a Green Rosella. Slightly aloof. He likes watching. Hiding in the foliage. Not getting involved. He has splashes of colour. Enough colour to prove it knows how to do colour. His coloured feathers are not flashy or showing off. Red hair band to keep feathers from his eyes.  Most of the feathers help him hide; blend in. Green and black. Help him not be seen. I often don’t know he is watching until suddenly he flies away.

 

His feathers are functional. Help him fly. With his partner. The two of them are always hanging around in the foliage or on the ground.

 

When he is not helping me play better tennis he forages in the trees and shrubs and on the ground for nectar, fruit, berries, seeds and if he is lucky: insects.


He roosts in the tree with his partner. They chatter softly about my lack of footwork.

Geoff is subdued and less colourful than his cousin the Eastern Rosella. The Eastern rosella shows off. Wears bright and gaudy red feathers.

 

I think about my feet. Move my feet; get comfortable and nicely balanced; swing easily and gracefully and hit the ball. Win a few points. Lose a few but who cares. I am moving nicely. Nice and relaxed. Not stressed. The ball is bouncing back and forth across the court. I find the ball coming off my racquet a lot better. It is now going where I envisage.

 

Geoff nods in approval. Then he flies away. Geoff has done his job. He imagines more seeds over that way. Or maybe even an unlucky  caterpillar.

No comments:

Post a Comment