Wednesday 3 February 2021

Chapter 301: A perfect day



 

The OVA athletic carnival at the Domain on 31st January.

The weather was perfect. About 20 degrees with a light breeze and no rain.

The handicapping was perfect. In race after race there was blanket finish.

The volunteers were perfect. A lady gave me a top to wear. A man helped me find where to start and how to start.

Six people are perfect. These six people decide to help me run faster. They help me find my physical limit by trying to overtake me. They help me by trying to run faster than me.

I find myself the front marker. I crouch. The gun goes off. I glance around. Everybody else is running. Time for me to run.  I run like I stole something.

I enter the home straight. I can hear noises behind me. I can hear loud breathing and feet clapping the track.  Don’t look around. Go for the finish line. I can see it. The racquet behind me is getting louder.

About ten meters from the finish I get passed.  Sounds like the rest of the army behind me is planning on the same thing. I cross the line and then look round.

The day remains perfect.  I have blithely and without thought entered a couple of carnivals. They are an opportunity to push myself physically. To run as fast as possible. To run in a race with absolutely no idea who is going to win.

The winner will be the one who gets it all together on the day or finds competition brings the best out of them. Maybe the possibility of coming first pushes them and makes them run faster.

This was the last carnival for the season. I will return.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment