Monday 1 February 2016

Chapter 10: A ghost


Next day we go for a coffee. Lorna and me to the local cafe. She scans the road. Looking for cars. I wait on the footpath. She says, “You can come now." and waves for me to cross.  She points at the place in the road I am to use. Were to cross.  She protects me from all the dangers that she sees. I know I will get there safely.  I know that she will order the coffee and pay for it. I know no harm will come to me.

On the way back we see somebody approaching us.  It is the lady from up the road. She looks at me as if she has seen a ghost. There is no other way to describe the way she looks. She really looks like she has seen a ghost.

The lady says to me, “So good to see you. Out and about.”

I smile at her and she grins at me and says to Lorna, “He’s looking good.”

Lorna says, “Yes he’s going well. Made a good recovery.”

I say, “Hello. How you going?”

She is overjoyed to hear me speak and immediately tells me how she is and what a beautiful day it is.

I start to go and she tells Lorna, “He’s looking good. He’s walking.”

Lorna nods and we walk up the road. Away from the lady who has been told stories about me.

Next day I wake and lie back on the bed thinking. What shall I do today? I sit on my bed and wonder. What should I wear? What clothes are in this drawer?  If only I knew what to wear? Lorna comes back and I ask her, “What should I wear today? “

She runs around to a drawer and pulls out a top and lays it out for me. I pick it up and pull it over my head.  I am getting somewhere. Now all I have to do is ask Lorna what we are going to do today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment