Tuesday 12 January 2016

Chapter 3: Beautiful music

She nods and I ask, “What floor is the chapel on?”

She has risen and waits for me to shuffle out of bed through the door. We hobble down the main corridor towards the area outside the lift. It is a security area. Stacey goes off to speak to a member of staff and I wait. She returns then enters my name into a keyboard. We then wait for a lift to come up. The lift eventually comes. It is very wide enough for a couple of stretchers. The lift is empty and Stacey presses the button to the fourth floor.
On the fourth floor the direction to the chapel is obvious. The chapel is a collection of chairs arranged in rows and facing a pulpit. On one side is an organ with some music on top. I grab a seat near the organ and motion to Stacey, “Okay sit down.”

She sits down in front of the organ and starts riffling through the music.  Stacey finds a piece and tentatively opens it and starts to play. I sit motionless with eyes closed, listening to the music. Nothing else matters as I listen to the notes move up and down. She finishes and I say, “Very good. That was very good.”

She is happy that she managed to play it, to get through it, and then sits quietly. We are both silent until I say, “Do more. I really enjoyed that.”

She looks around at the other music and finally grabs a piece. I once again listen very quietly. Motionless I listen to every note afraid one may be played without me hearing it. I don’t listen for mistakes.  I listen for every note and try to absorb every note. I want every note to be a part of me. To listen to its pitch or sound or length and to guess what is coming next.

Back at the room I say, “I really enjoyed that.”

It’s nice to say something which is true and which I really believe. The music was so different to everything else I have heard in hospital.


No comments:

Post a Comment