Sunday 10 January 2016

Chapter 1: I open my eyes

I open my eyes and I can see things to look at. What can I see?  What is happening over there? I am in a bed. I think it’s a hospital.  That’s what it looks like. Immaculate neat beds and floor.  There is another bed in the room and a door leading off to another little room.  Looks like a toilet or a bathroom.  I’m actually dying to go to the toilet and it’s right next to me.  I move the blankets off me and swing my legs onto the floor.  

If I just walk around this other bed I will find out what is happening in this other room.  I cannot walk that freely.  I shuffle, holding on to what I can.  I finally arrive at the small door. I push It open. I immediately see strange objects.  A toilet like nothing I have ever seen before. A shower and mirror. A bench which has on it soap and I go for the toilet and sit on it. A pee would feel so good. Put me back in control.  I hear running water and lie back in bliss.  Feels so good.  Where am I? I reckon I can wash my hands and shuffle back to the bed I came from.  The other guy is still asleep. I sit back on the bed and swing my legs under the doona. 

I reckon I will shut my eyes and have a rest.

I wake again and this time Jolene is sitting next to my bed.  She is looking at me.  I sit myself up resting on the pillow and tell her, “I’ve had enough of this place.  I think I’ll go home.”

She raises her eyebrows and says,” Do you know how long you’ve been here?”
I reply with, “No, no idea.”

She says, “Two weeks in hospital. This ward and emergency. I’ve visited you”.

I say, “Two weeks. Not true.”

“Two weeks. You’ve been here for two weeks. I’ve visited you. I’ve seen you here.

I’m silent. I immediately think she’s telling me the truth. I can’t argue with her. She knows everything.  I can’t say, “I think you’re lying.” I sit quietly and imagine the last two weeks. It’s not possible. I remember nothing. Not one second of the last two weeks. It’s all gone. She’s telling the truth. I have been here for two weeks. I don't remember a second of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment