Sunday 23 August 2020

Chappter 265: I will let them win. I will try and build up their confidence.

 The computer game is alive. It is blinking, flashing, making music and goading me.

I can use this game to help me grandkids. Build up their confidence. Make them feel good. Give them confidence to attack and take on this world. I will let them beat me.

I start by saying: I’m gonna win. I’m gonna beat you at his game.

They immediately begin pressing buttons. They ask me. What my name is going to be. What color do I want be.

The game starts and they hand me the controller. They press buttons, turn buttons and twist buttons. The buttons become a part of them. On the screen their monkeys put up shields and easily dodge nasty, evil arrows.

I whisper: I’m gonna beat you. I’m just getting warmed up.

Bruce seems to lose interest in beating me. Winning is too easy. No competition. He lazily spins his button and raises his eyebrows.

Bruce decides its time to help me.

Bruce: You have to watch the monkey and press your button when it moves. You have to throw a banana and hit the other monkey. You have to press the color that appears.

I spin my button and press it a few times and watch some randomly disconnected monkey get bombed.

Bruce: That was good. You are getting better.   

The game finishes and they look at the leader’s scoreboard. 

Me: Looks like I won. I got the lowest score. By lots. You didn’t even come close.

Kay: The highest score wins. You came last.

Me: I think lowest wins. I won.

Kay: You lost. You came last.

Bruce: You are getting better. You are learning. You are learning very quickly. For your age.

Bruce tries to encourage me. He tries to build up my confidence.

Bruce: You will soon be an expert at this. Good enough to play me.

They play another game without me. I disappear. When they are at school I will have to learn how to turn this game on by myself. I need to practice by myself. I need to practice without them watching. I have to get good enough to let them beat me. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment