Wednesday 26 August 2020

Chapter 266: Does she stll suck her thumb?

 I stroll in my back garden. Over the fence I hear my neighbour say hello.

She has some beautiful agapanthus. I must ask her why they doing so well.  They look better than ours.

 

Me: Love your agapanthus.

Angela:  I gave him money so he could tell me what I already knew.

I nod.

Angela: He told me her teeth are crooked because she sucks her thumb.

 

Me: Are we talking about your daughter?

She looks at me: Yes of course we are.

Me: Okay are her teeth crooked?

Angela: Yes they are.

Me: Does she suck her thumb?

Angela: Only when she’s tired.

Me: Does sucking her thumb cause her teeth to be crocked?

Angela: Of course it does. I didn’t need him to tell me that. I already knew that.

 

I now ask a relevant question: How old is she?”

Angela: She is six.

Me: Does she still have baby teeth? Or does she have any adult teeth?

 

Angela: That’s what the orthodontist said. He was only interested if they were baby teeth or adult teeth.

Me: Okay how is he going to get her to stop sucking her thumb?

Angela: Easy. I’ll do that. I’ll tell her not to.  Whenever she does it I will tell her not to.”

 

I still retain some memory of teeth and of trying to change behaviour. I will try and give her some advice about teeth.

 

Me: I would be positive. Find some way of rewarding her for good behavior. Start with a chart. If she achieves a period of non-sucking then give her something. A star. After so many stars give her something she wants. Give her something to aim at. Find out what are the weak times. The times that are associated with sucking.

 

Angela: You are retired. What would you know? I’m just telling you. I know what to do. I don’t need his help or your help.

 

A week later we meet.

Me: I know nothing but has she stopped sucking her thumb?

Angela: She has cut down. She is sucking less.

Me: Why is she sucking her thumb less?

Angela:  Because I tell her. Everytime I see her I tell her. She wouldn’t dare.

Me: That’s good. What about the babysitter. How is she helping you?

Angela: The babysitter has enough to think about. I don’t want to fill her tiny brain with things she doesn’t need to know.  I haven’t told her what I am doing.

 

How can I tell her that the babysitter needs to be on the same page?

I am a retired dentist. But I am still a real live living dog owner.

Me: If you are training your dog would you expect someone looking after the dog to have the same rules for your dog.

Angela: Yes of course.

Me: Do you think the babysitter should know about your plan to stop thumb sucking.

Angela: Are you saying my daughter is a dog. She is not a dog.

 

Me: Can I ask you about your agapanthus? They look beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment