Monday 19 April 2021

Postcard from parkrun Darwin













It was a warm night. I wet my hair, wet my t-shirt, carry a water bottle and go through our front door towards parkrun. Parkrun is a 5 km community run.

The first person I see is wearing a Tasmanian T-shirt. I ask him and he comes from Hobart. I will remember him next time I see him in Hobart.

The parkrun starts. After each kilometre I drink water and wet my hair. Today is all about finishing. Not running a good time.

I finish. Stand around talking.

Lady: I’m coming to Hobart in July. Is it hilly?

Me: What do you define as hilly?

Lady: What is the fastest time there? That is a good guide?

Me: I make up the numbers. I don’t run with the ones who try and win.

Other ladies join in and begin talking about their home Parkruns. Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide. No mention of Darwin as home parkrun.

I used to think Darwin was hot. Now I know Darwin’s temperature varies and changes. Not just hot. Some days stinking hot. Some days hot and humid. Some days not designed for running.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment