Wednesday 28 December 2022

One runner came first. All the runners win.


 


 

I wait on the grass. I start from that line over there. Check.

Two more cycling races. I watch the cyclists silently and effortlessly speed around the rack. Legs pumping they peer out from under helmets. Their speed is amazing. And the way they all bunch up and ride close together.

Waiting to run it is horrifically hot. I need more water. My bottle is empty. I wander and ask and a man helps me. It feels dangerously hot. I don’t want to collapse. Please don’t collapse. I think I can make 200 meters. I hope they have water at the finish line.

The race starts. Run fast. Pump those legs. Big strides. I hear them coming. They pass me. I subconsciously slow down to let them past as they speed up to pass me.

Cross the finish line. What joy. What bliss. I shake hands. Everybody is happy. Everybody breathes deeply and leans on themselves.

We all took ourselves to our physical limits. We all ran as fast as we could. We all found out something about ourselves. We now all know who is the fastest. We know who won.

I already knew I hate the heat. I found out that my mind is quicker than my legs.

My mind thinks the present system is a mental disaster for the front-runner.

I think about the Sydney Hobart yacht race. A handicap race. Overall winner (gets all the publicity) and a handicap winner who is announced days later.

The Melbourne Cup is a handicap horse race. Weights are designed to even up the field. That is what we need. Make the faster runners wear a weight belt. All runners start together.

After the race I wander around and meet a couple of people who are physically challenged. I say: I am happy to run. Exert myself physically.

I then feel really bad. I’ve been insensitive. I am sorry about what I said. They would not have been able to run as I did.  Hopefully they read this.

Everybody is different. Everybody has a different back story. Everybody is different physically. I would like to see all healthy. Physically, emotionally socially and mentally. There are many ways of climbing the mountain.

I was lucky to be able to run in the Bikes and Spikes carnival. It suited me.

The future involves me boring people by recommending running in coming athletic carnivals.

Go for the gap...

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment