Wednesday 7 December 2022

Japan: Day 13










 Breakfast: An Asian couple approaches the door man.


Can we have one order for two people?  Because it’s large too much for one of us.
Staff: I’ll see. (he disappears).
He returns and says: We have prepared. Follow me.


?They spoke English. They wanted an American breakfast.

Past a cemetery.  

Guide: During Bon festival you visit family grave and leave presents for deceased. Tobacco, favourite food or sake.
My friend’s mother did not like it when she left sake for her father.
He drank too much. Why he is where he is.

Guide: When you visit a family home. Take a present. Wrapped fruit. Tatami mats on floor. No square house with four rooms because four is unlucky.

Miho museum: No photos permitted inside.

The building is a work of art. The building is full of a private collection from everywhere. Ancient pieces from Asia and the Middle East.

Inside I wander disinterested as our guide says where piece is from and how old. The age continually startles surprises. Pieces similar to what the English have been accused of stealing from…

Me: What is this piece doing in Japan?
Tourists: We don’t talk about that.  (shock)

The good news is people in Japanese can see these pieces. Increase the size of their world.

We find a café and sup on coffee and cake.


I asked the waiter: Where do you point Percy at the Porcelain?
Waiter: I don’t understand your colloquial slang but are you attempting to elucidate where to micturate?
Me: Yeah I want a slash.
He points behind me.
Me: Thanks mate.

No comments:

Post a Comment