Monday 28 June 2021

Postcard from Kununurra: Final dinner








Kununurra: We have our last communal dinner with our travel group. I notice fervent discussion and a card circulating. I assume if they need money for a present they will not to speak to me. This is what happens. They speak to Mrs. C and she makes a contribution for both of us.

One of our group, I’ll call him Peter, gives a touching and appropriate speech and gives the card and present to the driver and guide.

At 9:30pm one of the bar staff says: Last drinks. We are closing the bar.

The reason they are closing early is because the hotel can’t afford to pay any staff to stay and serve us.

Subdued talking after last night’s joviality.

The group consist of 16 people randomly thrown together.

In the group. Nobody smoked; nobody tried to lead everybody; nobody was habitually late to the bus; no factions formed; no-one complained about everything. All were Aussies. Coming from all the usual Australian cities. We missed out on the usual two Kiwis.

The future is unscripted. I don’t know who I will see again or when. It is likely that if I see any of the group again it will be in Hobart.  Hobart is a place people travel to and visit. It is the gateway to Tasmania.

After leaving our tour we see some of our group in the airport. I cheerfully greet them. I ignore everybody else in the airport. Our Kimberley trip has bonded me to members of our group. Not fellow airplane passengers.


No comments:

Post a Comment