Friday 18 June 2021

Another postcard from El Questro: The Hot Springs

 








Our group has exclusive access to the hot springs for one hour. A beautiful stream cascades down between rocks. A few pools created.

One of our group stand and looks at the pools: Its just hot water for old people.

I enter; sit down; lie down. Water flows over and around me. Warm water with no smell of minerals.  Lying back I see palms overhead. Feels good to be an old person.

Time speeds up in the pool. Time to exit the pool and put my clothes on over my bathers. No drying myself. Towel salesmen would battle in the Kimberley. Wet clothes are a pleasure.


We pass an iron ore truck. 250,000 tons of iron ore are trucked to Wyndham and exported every year.

Driver talks like a laconic stockman. I will tell you what you need to know. I will tell you once. Without colour or flourishes. No fucking around. Honest and truthful.

Driver: This section of the road they need to make it wider. Its too narrow with all these road trains.

Driver: Just travelled onto another million acre cattle property.

Driver: Keep your eyes peeled for brumbies. They can cross the road suddenly around these chicanes.

 

Back at the resort we have a bit of spare time. Everybody rushes to the laundry and the washing machines.

No comments:

Post a Comment