Sunday 6 June 2021

Postcard from Kimberley: An artist






 

A young female aboriginal artist sits at a shaded table quietly painting. She told me her name but I forgot to write it down. I apologise to her. She was relaxed, happy, contented and enjoyed answering stupid questions from wandering tourists.

Question: Can I take your picture?

Artist: Yes.

Question: Who taught you how to paint?

A: My mum taught me how to paint. She teaches me the techniques.

Q: Did you learn anything at school. Did you go to college?

A: I went to college in Darwin. I learnt techniques there.

Q: And you teach your mother theses new techniques?

A: Yes.

Q: What is the story with this painting?

A: Wardijina is powerful. He’s up there and everywhere.

Q: He doesn’t have a mouth.

A: He doesn’t have a mouth. He sees everything. If he would speak, he can cause trouble.

Q: How much is this picture?

A: $250.

Q: How long to paint it?

A: I start this morning. I finish about 4:00.

Q: A day?

A: Yes.

Q: Its good.

A: It’s our god.

Q (Changing the topic): I guess you barrack for the Eagles?

A(smiles): Yes.

Q: Who is your favourite player?

A: Josh Kennedy

Q: Who’s going to win the flag this year?

A (smiles): We are.

Q: Very good painting. All your paintings are different.

  

Through our entire conversation she kept on painting. She never once said. Buy this. I give you special price. She was more interested in painting than selling paintings. This was either because she was selling enough or she has realized that the best way to sell a painting is not to pressure people. She hooked me. 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment