Friday 25 June 2021

Postcard from Bungle Bungle: Cathedral Gorge

 







Walk in the Bungle Bungles. Celeste runs after us with a non-capsicum sandwich.  She ran through the heat to prevent Peter eating capsicum. Days ago he had filled out a from saying it was not safe for him to eat capsicum.

We wander to Cathedral Gorge. We don’t walk tightly together.  

A few of us men arrive and sit and wait for our wives.  

Man: When my wife gets here she will say where we will sit for lunch.

Another man: I reckon she will tell you to sit over there.

Another man: I’m the same. I have to be told where to sit.

I say nothing and sit patently waiting for Mrs. C. 

Mrs. C turns up and says: We will sit over there. Much better spot.

We eat lunch and walk back with our guide. He talks about what is all around us.

Guide: The geology of the Bungle Bungles is it consists of clay and sand. We call them bee hives.

Me: What is the dreamtime story of these bee hives.

Guide: I’ve tried to find it out. I know nothing.

Me: So I can just make it up.

Guide: Is this a termite mound, a wasp mound or a bee hive?

Two lies and one truth. What is the truth?

Guide: It is a termite mound. They go underground. 80 m. They eat spinifex.


No comments:

Post a Comment