Friday 11 June 2021

Postcard from Mitchell Falls









Walk to Mitchell Falls. Our group is joined by traditional Aboriginal guide.

Aboriginal Guide: This tree. The fruit is good for toothache. You rub the fruit on your sore tooth and leave it there.

Aboriginal Guide: This tree is if you want a miscarriage. The woman drinks it.

Aboriginal Guide:  This tree the nuts are rich in Vit C equal to 30 oranges. Last walk we had a guy with the flu. He ate the nuts and his flu went. It very powerful.

Aboriginal Guide:  This tree you rub the leaves. The oil kills fish. Take the oxygen out of the water. But you only take what you need. Never too much.

Aboriginal Guide: This tree. You rub the leaves on your skin. Keeps the mossies off.

Aboriginal Guide: This fern. Can eat the heart. Raw or you can cook them. It’s a good food.

Aboriginal Guide: This tree good for start a fire.  The bark. Knock the flint together.

Aboriginal Guide: The river full of cherax. Fresh water crayfish. Very tasty.

 

The aboriginal guide has spent his whole life living outdoors in the local natural environment. I do not know as much about the nature where I live. I spend a lot of time indoors divorced from my indigenous birds, plants and animals.

I imagine him coming to Hobart. If any bird flies by I might be able to tell him the name of the bird. I could tell him the names of some of the local plants. I wouldn’t be able to tell him what to eat.

I could tell him what to eat if I took him to a local cafĂ©, or restaurant. I’d advise him the best options. Talk about what is gluten free or lactose free.  


No comments:

Post a Comment