Friday 18 June 2021

Postcard from El Questro: Emma Gorge







 

Breakfast

Tourist: Look no fruit juice.

Another tourist: I ate fruit. It wasn’t ripe.

I shudder. I have become the food police. Most people know I spent many years working as a dentist.


We are told about today’s walk. It is rated 4 out of 5. It is rated difficult.

10 out of 16 of us begin the walk up the gorge.   

The walk is rocky. Rock hopping. Lots of big steps. The person behind me pushes me onwards and upwards to keep up with the guy ahead.  

A couple of times I stop and ask others for a photo of myself in the gorge. Deeper and deeper into the gorge. We stop walking at a pool surrounded by steep rock cliffs. Warm hot bubbles stream up randomly creating hot spots. I swim around the pool from hot to cool spots and back again. Dramatic changes in temperature.

Beautiful swim in a beautiful pool. I have to prove I have swum in a beautiful pool.  I ask someone to take a photo of myself in front of the pool.

Return walk back down the gorge. We don’t travel as a group. I wander by myself. Nobody behind or ahead of me. I cruise sedately looking at the path ahead. Stopping to enjoy the view.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment